Ma 191a - Foliations and 3-manifolds; Fall 2003
Instructor: Danny Calegari
MW 3:30-5:00 257 Sloan
Note: I will be in Chicago during October 13-25. If possible, I would
like to make up some or all of these classes before/after my travel.
Those taking the class for a grade will be required to take notes.
Description of course:
We will discuss recent developments in the theory of foliations of
3-manifolds, and their relations to other aspects of 3-manifold topology,
principally to hyperbolic geometry and geometric group theory. We will
also discuss relations with contact and symplectic geometry in
3 and 4 dimensions.
Topics to be covered may include:
- Finite depth foliations and the Thurston norm
- Universal circles
- Groups and groupoids of homeomorphisms of 1- and 2-manifolds
- Contact structures and confoliations
Notes for the course may gradually be posted in installments.
- A. Candel and L. Conlon Foliations I AMS, GSM volume 23
- A. Candel and L. Conlon Foliations II AMS, GSM volume 60
- D. Calegari Foliations and the geometrization of 3-manifolds Lecture notes; partially written
- D. Gabai Foliations and 3-manifolds Proceedings of the ICM Vol. 1
(Kyoto, 1990) 609-619
- L. Mosher Laminations and flows transverse to finite depth foliations, Part I Monograph; available from the author's webpage
- W. Thurston A norm for the homology of 3-manifolds Memoirs of
the AMS 339 (1986) 99-130
- T. Tsuboi Homology of diffeomorphism groups, and foliated structures Sugaku Expositions 3 (1990) no. 2, 145-181