WOMP 2007 Schedule
The following is the current schedule for WOMP 2007. For a more
condensed version, click here .
"A Practical Guide to Life in Hyde Park and Beyond" (pdf/ps)
Answers to practical questions about living in the University
neighborhood, written by Elizabeth Csima and edited by Travis Schedler and
Morning sessions start at 10 am and afternoon sessions begin at 1 pm,unless
All sessions will meet in Eckhart 207 unless otherwise
noted.There also happens to be a world music festival going on in the
cityduring the two weeks of WOMP. If you are interested, the schedule for it is
Monday, Sept. 10:
Tuesday, Sept. 11:
- Morning : Welcome and Tour of Hyde Park
- Afternoon : Algebra I -Ian Shipman (notes) and Shawn Drenning
Basis, dual vector spaces, dimension, linear maps,
determinant, characteristic polynomial, Jordan form, rings, ideals,
modules, PIDs, UFDs.
Wednesday, Sept. 12:
- Morning : Topology -Rachel Epstein and Damir
Topology, basis, subbasis, compactness, separation axioms, product
topology, metric spaces, Density, First and Second Countability,
Hausdorffness, Normality, Quotient Topologies, Connectedness .
- Afternoon : Algebra II -Asaf Hadari (notes) and Travis Schedler (notes)
theorem for abelian groups, classification of modules over PIDs,
semisimple and nilpotent decomposition, fields, field extensions, Galois
- Evening (8:00): Game night in the Barn; meet
at 8:00 in the Barn (3rd floor Eckhart/Ryerson)for board and card games.
Thursday, Sept. 13:
- Morning : Analysis I -Nick Longo and Ariel Barton (notes)
Measure theory, motivation of Lebesgue integration, function spaces and Arzela-Ascoli.
- Afternoon (E206): Life in Chicago, a forum to learn about all Chicago has to offer, including a Q&A session.
- Evening (6:00): Dinner at
Friday, Sept. 14:
Afternoon : Manifolds I -Spencer Dowdall and Ian Biringer
Manifold, examples including S^n and RP^n, calculus in R^n, change of variables, inverse and implicit function theorems, existence and uniqueness of solutions to ODEs.
- Evening (4:30): Trip to the Art Institute. Meet at the bus stop at 55th and Hyde Park at 4:30. The museum will be free, but bring $4 for bus fare.
- Morning : Category Theory- Anna Marie Bohmann (notes) and John Lind (notes)
Category, functor, natural transformation, limits, colimits, products, coproducts, pullbacks, universal property, lots of examples.
- Afternoon : Analysis II- Francis Chung and Timur Ahkunov
Hilbert spaces, Banach spaces, Fourier series, Fouriertransforms.
Saturday, Sept. 15:
- Afternoon (1:00) : Trip
Downtown, meet at busstop at 55th and S Hyde Park Blvd at 1:00.
Sunday, Sept. 16:
- Morning and Afternoon (9:30-4:00): International StudentOrientation(Mandatory). At International House, in the Assembly Hall. More information here(doc).
Monday, Sept. 17:
- Morning : Algebra
III -Mike Broshi (notes) and Alan Anders
Tensor algebra, symmetric algebra, alternating powers, Hom, determinant, differential forms, exterior derivative, deRham complex.
- Afternoon (3:00-5:00) : Manifolds II- Tom Church (notes) and Nils Barth
Tangent spaces, tangent bundle, vector bundles, Liegroups, Lie algebras, examples.
Tuesday, Sept. 18:
- Morning : Get university ID cards, 1100 E. 57th Street, RegensteinLibrary A-11.
- Morning (11:00-12:00, Ryerson 277) : Probability- Rob Masson (notes)
Random variables, independence, distributions and characteristic functions,
convergence in probability and weak convergence.
- Afternoon : GraduateStudent Orientation: includes lunch, information sessions, and refreshments at the pub.
Thursday, Sept. 20:
- Morning : AlgebraicTopology - Niles Johnson (notes) and Khalid Bou-Rabee
Fundamental group, covering spaces, universal covering,
homotopy, group actions
- Afternoon (2:30-4:30) : HomologicalAlgebra -
Aaron Marcus (notes) and Keerthi Madapusi
Complexes, homology, cohomology, exact sequences, derived functors: Ext and Tor via projective resolutions.
- Evening (7:00) Dinner and drinks with incoming CS students. Meet at the Woodlawn Tap (Jimmy's), 55th and Woodlawn
- Morning (10:30, Eckhart 206): Departmental Orientation
- Noon (12:00) First Year Photos Meet at the steps in front of
- Evening (6:00): Dinner in Chinatown followed by a
barcrawl on the north side (meet at 55 and Woodlawn)
Friday, Sept. 21:
- Morning : Breakfast at Pancake House, 1517 E. Hyde
ParkBlvd, by the corner of Lake Park and E Hyde Park, meet at restaurant at 10:00. Visit the website for a menu
- Afternoon (3:00, E206): Forum on how to get through the first year program
- Evening (5:00) : Departmental Picnic, outside in quad behind Eckhart.
Saturday, Sept. 23 :
- Afternoon (2:30): Walk Downtown, meet in first-year office for a lakeside walk downtown to Giordano's.