- About the Department
- Undergraduate Program
- Graduate Program
Events: Department Colloquium and Lecture Series
- Leonid Polterovich will be visiting up for two one month visits. The first visit will be in Winter 2014. During the quarter, he and Misha Khanievsky will give a course on topics in symplectic and contact topology that will meet on MW 2:30--3:50 (room TBA). The course will continue in April 2014. More detail information can be seen here.
- Spencer Bloch (University of Chicago) will give the Albert Lectures in Algebra talk on February 28, March 1; 2, 2014. More details can be viewed here.
- There will have two Namboodiri Lectures in Geometry and Topology in Spring 2014, by Fred Cohen (University of Rochester) and Ian Agol (Berkeley) on April 11; 14; 15, 2014 and May 9; 12; 13, 2014 respectively. Detailed information can be viewed here.
- We are happy to congratulate Shmuel Weinberger on his election as a fellow of the American Academy for the Advancement of Science. For more details, see here. — December 5, 2013
- Matt Emerton, Benson Farb, Wilhelm Schlag and Luis Silvestre will be speaking at the International Congress of Mathematicians in Seoul this coming summer, in Number Theory, Topology, Analysis and Partial Differential Equations, respectively. For more information, see here.— October 31, 2013
- The recent issue of PNAS contains the announcement of Maryanthe Malliaris's solution, with Saharon Shelah, of the longstanding "p = t" problem in set theory. It also contains a commentary explaining something about the problem and some of its context. — August 20, 2013
- The AMS calendar has a wonderful series of mathematical images. This month's image is the work of Diane Herrmann, Senior Lecturer and Co-Director of Undergraduate Studies. You can see it here (PDF, images may take some time to load). — August 12, 2013
- We are happy to announce that Greg Lawler has been appointed the George Wells Beadle Distinguished Service Professor in Mathematics and Statistics. — July 29, 2013
- We are happy to announce that this year, the department is recognizing the graduate students Andrew Lawrie (finishing) and Alex Wright as Wirszup fellows. The Wirszup fellowship was established last year in memory of Izaak Wirszup, a beloved member of our department and of the university community for many years, who had worked tirelessly towards improving the quality of Mathematics education over the decades. More information on graduate student research awards is available here.— June 2, 2013
- We are happy to announce that the winner of this year's Kowalsky Fellowship is Katie Mann. The Kowalsky Fellowship provides support for a graduate student, preferably a woman, who is doing excellent research towards her dissertation. The award is established through a bequest from Walter and Yvonne Kowalsky in memory of their daughter Nadine Kowalsky, who died of leukemia in 1996. Nadine graduated from the University of Chicago in 1994 with a dissertation directed by Robert Zimmer. More information on graduate student research awards is available here.— June 2, 2013
- The winners of the 2013 Lawrence and Josephine Graves Prize in Teaching, awarded to the Lecturers in Mathematics who by the Spring Quarter of the second year of their lectureship have accumulated the best record in effective and responsible teaching are: Benjamin Fehrman, Laurence Field, Mona Merling, and Jennifer Wilson. More information about the prize and recipients in past years is available here.— May 23, 2013
- The winners of the 2013 Paul R. Cohen Memorial Prize, awarded to the graduating seniors in the field of Mathematics who have achieved the highest record in mathematics are Madeline Barnicle, Joshua Bosshardt, Watson Ladd, Yan Shuo Tan, and Alec Zimmer. More information about the prize and recipients in past years is available here.— May 23, 2013
- A total of 30 students graduating in mathematics in the 2012-13 academic year are receiving honors degrees. A full list is available here. Lists from past years can be accessed here.— May 23, 2013
- We are very happy to announce that Luis Caffarelli will be awarded and honorary degree at the upcoming university convocation. Luis is an old friend of our department, a splendid mathematician, and is currently visiting us. More details here.— May 16, 2013
- We are very happy to congratulate Bao Châu Ngô on his receiving a Simons Investigator award. It will soon be announced on their web page.— May 7, 2013
- We are happy to congratulate our frequent long term visiting professor, Henri Berestycki, on being elected as a foreign honorary member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. More details here.— May 7, 2013
- We are very happy to announce that Greg Lawler has been elected to the National Academy of Sciences. More details here.— April 30, 2013
Dept. of Mathematics
University of Chicago
5734 S. University Avenue, Room 208C
Chicago, Illinois 60637
Telephone: (773) 702-7100
Fax: (773) 702-9787
For queries other than those directly related to the website, please locate the most appropriate person to contact, and only contact webmaster if you are unable to locate the appropriate email address.